Supporting a safe and healthy legal workplace
Forums Home

Carers Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with mental illness, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Highlighted
Casual Contributor

Starting the Conversation

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new here. Smiley Happy

I need some advice on how to tell my family about my partner. 

We have been together for almost a year and he suffers from Bipolar Disorder and BPD. He also struggles with drug (illegal) dependency. I have a feeling that my dad is aware of my partner's issues, however I have not discussed it with him. I recently had a breakdown due to not looking after myself whilst caring for my partner. I now feel like I should tell my dad, who also suffers from mental health and was drug dependant. I know that he would understand and it would be helpful but at the same time I dont want my dad to judge my partner in any way because of it. 

I just need some advice on how to start the conversation. 

Thanks in advance. 

Smiley Happy N

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Starting the Conversation

Welcome to the forum @NUGGET, disclosure can be difficult but it's important for your self-care to build a strong support network. Is there something that your partner and father bond over? Perhaps that may be a great icebreaker to lead into the discussion.  

@Ali11 Thats a great idea. Thanks Smiley Happy I definetly can think of a few things. 

You're welcome @NUGGET, hope you're enjoying your weekend Smiley Happy Let us know how you go with starting that conversation 

how are you going today @NUGGET 

Hope you had a great weekend @NUGGET, let us know how you are! Heart

For urgent assistance, call: